SPOILER ALERT!

Star Trek: S. C. E.: #11 Ambush by Dave Galanter & Greg Brodeur

Ambush (Star Trek: Starfleet Corps of Engineers, #11) - Dave Galanter, Greg Brodeur

Part 11 of the SCE-series tells the classic tale of the ship (i.e. our heroes), trying to come to the rescue of a remote outpost facing annihilation when they come under attack themselves. Now they have to improvise their way out of the situation, all under a tight timeframe and with the lives of the colonists at risk.

I think, like some of its predecessors, Ambush suffers a bit from the format of short story because some of the plotthreads could have been elaborated on, such as the whole colonists' point of view. Come to think of it, the ending of that one was a bit strange - we go from "oh, we might have lost a character that was established as important" to "never mind" just a few pages later -, which adds to the feeling that the conclusion was rushed due to word-count issues.

Overall, this is a well written story that's engaging from start to the finish line - but again, unfortunately, it doesn't really stand out as very memorable afterwards. I'm sensing a pattern here with the SCE...